There are many braces on the market, all of which have subtle design differences. At Pure Orthodontics, we use Damon Braces, because they have several advantages over traditional braces. Unlike traditional braces that use small elastic rings to hold the wire into the brackets, Damon braces contain a small gate that serves this purpose but does so more effectively. Not only does this reduce the amount of friction in the system, but the absence of elastic rings reduces staining of the braces and minimises the accumulation of bacteria. This keeps them looking better and helps with hygiene which is critically important when undergoing treatment.
Damon braces come in both clear (tooth-coloured) and metal versions, while usually preferred by adult patients, ceramic braces are also suitable for teens and younger children who may be self-conscious about their appearance. No matter which option you choose, you can be confident that your treatment outcome will be the same. Here are a couple of things you should know to help you make your decision:
The Pros of Damon Ceramic Braces:
- They are a more aesthetic option as the tooth-coloured brackets blend with your tooth colour.
- Unlike other clear braces on the market, there is no discolouration when eating certain foods, which means you can enjoy drink coffee or eat a curry without the worry that your braces will stain.
- Ceramic brackets have smooth rounded contours which can make them feel more comfortable.
The Cons of Damon Ceramic Braces:
- Ceramic brackets are bulkier, as greater material thickness is necessary for adequate strength.
- They are more expensive than metal brackets.
- They can cause damage to the top teeth when worn on the bottom teeth. The health of your teeth is our priority so for this reason we don’t offer ceramic braces for lower teeth.
In summary, the good news is that you’ll end up with the same outcome regardless of whether you have clear or metal braces. The choice is yours!